Monday, August 26, 2013

Unlock the Kingdom of Heaven

Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You lock the Kingdom of heaven before men. You do not enter yourselves, nor do you allow entrance to those trying to enter." (Mt. 23:13)

"Woe" is an expression of grief, regret, or distress. Such is the expression seen in the Lord by the crowds and his disciples when He addressed the scribes and Pharisees.

"Scribes" are members of a learned class in ancient Israel through New Testament times studying the Scriptures and serving as copyists, editors, teachers, and jurists. They are officials or public secretaries or clerks and copiers of manuscripts.

"Pharisees" are members of a Jewish sect of the intertestamental period noted for strict observance of rites and ceremonies of the written law and for insistence on the validity of their own oral traditions concerning the law.

Both the scribes and Pharisees were termed by the Lord as hypocrites.

"Hypocrites" are persons who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion. They act in contradiction to their stated beliefs or feelings.

The very first thought that came to my mind after reading the gospel is "action speaks louder than words".

Like the scribes and Pharisees, I may have known, studied, or have learned the passages in the scriptures but am I living it out?

In the ministry of Preaching and Proclaiming the Word of God, it may be easy to speak the word in front of a crowd or audience but putting them into practice is an entirely different matter. Doing the word in order to be at witness and living example is a challenge that I have to face each day.

The world is full of lies and deceit and at any given time, I can fell as one its victims but what is worse, I may unknowingly be the culprit himself.

Have I really fully understood what the Lord meant?

As a leader and a person in authority, I can influence other people to listen and follow. If I have not fully understood the true intent and meaning of God's Word, I can be a blind guide to those who will hear me speak or believe in what I say. Instead of bringing people closer to the Lord, I may even be the cause for them to be misled.

A true disciple of the Lord is one who "walk his talk". It is not by his words but in his good deeds that brings glory to the Father.

It you wish other people to follow you, you must first be a true follower of Christ!

Lord, you are the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through you. Please open my eyes to your truth and lead me to the right path and direction to take so that I may not be misled by other people. Walk with me each day and give me the grace to follow you wherever you go.

In a very special way, I pray for all the leaders, preachers, teachers, pastors and priests. May they live in truth whatever they teach and preach and by their good deeds, you will be seen in them. Give them your heart and wisdom to proclaim your Word out of love for you and for others.

With humility and openness of mind and heart I pray in Jesus Name. Amen.